Causa is typically a favorite Peruvian dish among tourists and locals alike. With a golden yellow potato base, what’s not to love? Most restaurants in and around Cusco serve up their own version of causa, and all focus intensely on presentation. The causa is always served up in careful layers, as a sushi style, and extremely photo-worthy.
This recipe is for all you lazy chefs, those who want all of the flavor and deliciousness of a traditional Peruvian causa at about 50% the effort!
You can modify this recipe to fit your taste buds, using all sorts of different fillers, but you will always need potatoes and aji amarillo to start. Go to your local market and just tell your casera that you’re making a causa, she’ll know which potato is best. Aji amarillo can be purchased in little plastic packages at any mercado or bodega in Cusco.
- Aji amarillo (yellow chili paste)
- Black olive
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
Throw it together:
- Quarter potatoes and throw into a medium sized pot. Boil until soft. Trick: Potatoes are ready if you stab them with a fork and they slide off the fork!
- Drop an egg or two into boiling water, boil for approximately 12 minutes (high altitude, people!). Drain water, let eggs soak in cold water for another 12 minutes, then peel and slice! Magically dash some salt in the cold water to help with the peeling of the shell.
- Peel the taters. Throw em in a bowl with some aji amarillo and olive oil, get it all mashed all together. You want a really smooth, mashed potatoey consistency. You can use a food processor/ blender or your own two hands if you don’t mind getting a little bit messy. Chill taters for about 15 minutes.
- Cut olives, tomatoes, and avocado to your liking. Throw em in the bowl with your taters. Add salt, mayo, lime juice and cilantro to your liking.
- Ta-da! You’ve got yourself some lazy, ugly (but delicious) causa! Buen provecho!
Not really feeling the whole cooking for yourself thing while you’re in Cusco? Check out Proyecto Peru’s homestay accommodation options, where a local family will cook for you and you’ll be able to taste a real-deal Peruvian made, beautiful causa.